As the weather cools down I love to heat up the kitchen! Nothing is better on a cold evening than a nice hot bowl of chili. This Sweet Pepper Turkey Chili is just perfect for such an evening!
What you will love most about Sweet Pepper Turkey Chili, other than how tasty it is, is what a great and healthy alternative to ground beef it is. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good hearty beefy chili. Yet, somehow this sweet pepper and ground turkey version is really my new favorite. I know that it will be yours also!
I hate green peppers! Like don’t even let them touch anything on my plate hate. They are pungent and gross. I know that most everyone in the world loves them, but No Thank You! Growing up I wouldn’t touch red, yellow, or orange peppers for fear that they tasted just like the green ones.
Then somewhere down the road I actually tried a yellow pepper. Good grief it tasted nothing like a green pepper! I now love red, yellow and orange peppers. They are light and sweet and only get sweeter when they are cooked. They make the perfect accompaniment for turkey and chili beans.
What’s your favorite chili?
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 each red, yellow, and orange peppers diced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 10oz can chili beans
- 1 7oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 3oz can of tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp each of garlic and onion powders
- 2 tbs chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
- brown the turkey in a skillet
- in a stock pot over medium heat
- add the turkey and all the seasoning
- add the tomato sauce and paste
- add the chili beans
- add the peppers and onions
- stir until all is combined
- raise heat to high until it boils
- then turn heat to medium low for a simmer
- place lid on pot and let cook for 1 hour
- you can eat it in 30 min but one hour lets the flavors meld better