I just know your family will love this Roasted Tomato Spaghetti sauce!
In a world full of convenience and chemical preservatives, it can be hard to remember what good truly homemade food tastes like. I know how tempting it can be to just run by the store, through the drive-thru, open a jar of pre made anything! I do it myself quite often……
Sometimes if we just take a moment and plan out our day or week it’s amazing how many good home cooked meals we can get done. Often it takes the same or less time than the convenience food.
With just 2 pounds of roma tomatoes you can make 2 pints of amazing flavor filled spaghetti sauce. This is a recipe that I have added to, changed a few times, and have finally perfected! It’s super simple and is a no-fail recipe.
Once you make a batch you can freeze half of it to use at a later time or do what I did was make one HUGE pot of spaghetti and freeze that in a few portions to eat over the next month!
Would this post be complete if I didn’t share a photo of that totally crave worthy, load up on comfort food carbs? Heck no it wouldn’t!!
The weather is getting ugly out there this Holiday Season and you need to keep your family warm and full. Make this and you will have the base to so many yummy recipes!
This is thick stick to your pasta and your ribs kinda spaghetti sauce and it’s all 100% natural and made with love just for you!
Here is a quick look as to what your tomatoes should look like when they come out of the oven. Skins starting to turn dark and all wrinkly. A picture looks much nicer than that particular description…..
Roasted Tomato Spaghetti Sauce
This is a Plaid & Paisley Kitchen original recipe. Please feel free to make and share. All content and photo's are copyrighted.
- 2 pounds roma tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp each of salt and pepper divided
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 20 oz can of tomato sauce (organic is best)
- 1 4 oz can of tomato paste (organic is best)
- 1 tbsp of concentrated tomato paste
- 1 small bunch of fresh oregano (use 1 tbsp dried if fresh is not available)
- 1 tsp each of onion and garlic powder
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 tsp of red pepper flakes
- preheat oven to 425
- slice your tomatoes into halves or quarters
- lay on a parchment lined cookie sheet
- drizzle with the olive oil
- use 1 tbsp of salt and pepper and season tomatoes evenly
- roast in oven for 30 min (keep an eye on them you don't want them to get black for this recipe)
- remove and set aside to cool
- place all the remaining ingredients in a large sauce pan
- over medium high heat stir until all ingredients in the pot are combined
- Now that your tomatoes are cool enough to handle place them in the pot
- *with an immersion blender blend until the tomatoes become part of the sauce and no large pieces remain
- bring to a boil over medium high heat
- then reduce heat, cover and let simmer for an hour
- This should make approx 2 pints
- *if you don't have an immersion blender then you can use a regular blender or food processor to achieve the same results. You can just blend the roasted tomatoes or the whole sauce and tomatoes. Either method should be fine.
The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen 2015