Can you feel that Christmas is just around the corner? There is that touch of chill in the air, that feel of something special is about to happen, the glow of all the lights on houses, the scent of pine and baking cookies. I love the time right before Christmas when everyone is feeling festive and generous. It truly is the Best Time of the Year!
I have for you a very Christmasy Dessert! I adore all things Gingerbread and I am so happy to share this recipe with you. Bread Pudding is very easy to make and it is such a fun dessert to serve.
Your guests will love digging their spoons into every wonderful mouthful. I used Pepperidge Farms Gingerbread Cinnamon Raisin Bread for this. You could use home made Gingerbread bread, but why go to the extra steps when you can use this great bread?
If you are a Bread Pudding fan already then you know what comes next. If you are new to Bread Pudding then hang on to your seat……. Bourbon Sauce is the best part!
Only I used Gingerbread Kaluha!
That rich, sweet, buttery, boozy sauce!!! I could drink the whole thing. This takes a good dessert to a great dessert! Letting the sauce ooze deep down into the dish coating Each and every bite. I may or may not have poured just a little more than my share….
It looks a little tipsy to me don’t you think? If you want to make a kid friendly version just use a rum or whiskey extract. The Gingerbread Kahlua is heated so most of the alcohol burns out and you are left only with the great flavor.
Gingerbread Bread Pudding
This is a Plaid and Paisley Original Recipe. Please feel free to make and share. All photos and content are Copyrighted.
- half a loaf of Pepperidge Farms Gingerbread Cinnamon Raisin Bread
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup 1/2 & 1/2
- 2 tbs Gingerbread Kaluha
- For the Sauce
- 4 tbs chilled butter cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 4 tbs Gingerbread Kahlua or 1 tbs extract
- Heat oven to 325
- Cut the bread into 1in pieces and place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake 5 minutes. Shake and toss around and bake 5 minutes more. Till nice and golden and crunchy
- Beat yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl
- Heat both the creams and the Gingerbread Kahlua in a saucepan till just almost hot
- Pour into the egg mixture
- Don’t let the cream get too hot or the eggs will curdle
- Divide the cubed bread evenly in 6 ounce ramekins or make one batch in a 1 quart baking dish
- Pour custard mix evenly in each ramekin
- To make sure your pudding cooks evenly you need to bake it in a water bath
- Place filled ramekins in a 9×19 baking dish and pour in HOT water till about 1/2in to top of ramekins Be careful not to splash any water into the ramekins
- Place in the oven uncovered and bake at 325 for 40 min
- let cool slightly while you make the sauce
- in a saucepan over medium heat melt the butter
- add the sugar and corn syrup and bring to a boil
- stir constantly until sugars melt and become clear
- remove from heat and pour in the Kahlua
- stir until combined
- pour over each bread pudding serving
The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen 2015