Easter was so early this year that I didn’t get a chance to make any Carrot Cake! Well it’s still Spring and I am going to have my Cake and eat it too! I made these Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies with Cream Cheese Filling and Candied Carrots on top just for you! Well…..and me.
These Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies are so thick and rich it almost defies reason! There isn’t a bakery anywhere that can compare to how decadent these are. Big enough to share……. or not and have a super treat all to yourself!
The only thing better than how they taste is how EASY they are to make! You start with a cake mix add some fresh carrots and end up with soft cream cheesy delight!
I know you can just barely see it, but in the background of this photo there is a big ol’ bite taken out of one of the Whoopie Pies. Yep you guessed it, it was me! This guy didn’t make it through the whole photo shoot. #icouldntwait
When I say that these are big enough to share I really mean it. They are so rich and so decadent that you will be completely satisfied with just one. No binge cookie eating for me today. Which just might be a miracle!
Let’s talk about the candied carrots. It was a last minute decision to make and add them. I am really glad that I did! I like carrots in things, but I am not much of let’s just munch on a raw carrot like a rabbit. So I was a little worried that I might not like it. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.
Very impressive to look at and so super simple to make! If you have a julienne peeler it makes it even easier. I made a simple syrup and then rolled them in sugar. A perfect topping to a perfect treat!
You can make these smaller by making smaller cookies. I just really wanted to make a big, almost huge, Whoopie Pie. I mean why not go big on such a tasty treat? I made 18 cookies that made 9 pies. You can make more or less depending on how large you make the cookies. The Cream Cheese filling is the most amazing filling I have made to date. You are going to love Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies!
- 1 box of Spice Cake Mix
- 1/2 cup grated Fresh Carrots approx 3-4 carrots
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 6 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbs vanilla
- for the candied carrots:
- julienne one whole carrot
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- sugar to dust carrots
- in a mixer combine cake mix, oil, eggs
- fold in carrots
- a doughish batter will form
- place bowl in fridge to cool for 30 min to 1 hr
- once chilled preheat oven to 350
- for large cookies drop 2 tbsp sized dough balls onto a cookie sheet
- for smaller just do 1 tbsp
- bake for 10 min
- cookies will have spread out during baking
- let cool
- in a mixer combine cream cheese and powdered sugar
- add in vanilla and mix till creamy and spreadable
- place a large dollop of filling on one cookie and then top with another
- gently squishing the filling in between both cookies
- Keep Chilled if not serving right away
- for the candied carrots
- place the sugar and water in a sauce pan
- bring to a boil and stir until sugar is completely dissovled
- set aside to cool
- julienne one carrot
- place in the simple syrup
- remove and dust with sugar
- place on paper towels to dry
- once dry place a few strands on each whoopie pie